File photo: Reuters 
World

41 people dead in shipwreck off Tunisia: UN

A shipwreck off the coast of southeast Tunisia killed at least 41 people, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a joint statement.

migrator

Geneva

The UN agencies said in the statement issued on Friday that three survivors have been rescued and the search effort was still underway, reports Xinhua news agency. 

Based on initial information, the UN agencies said that all those who died were from Sub-Saharan Africa. 

"This tragic loss of life underscores once again the need to enhance and expand state-led search and rescue operations across the Central Mediterranean, where some 290 people have lost their lives so far this year," said the statement.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

CWC member inspects Mettur dam amid Mekedatu row

Tamil Nadu issues work orders for 1.28 lakh gold rings to babies born in government hospitals

MK Stalin targets ruling TVK, says DMK is specialist in comeback

SFI, DYFI call for NEET Opposition Day on September 1 to mark Anitha's death anniversary

UN welcomes Sri Lanka's efforts to bring back refugees from India