World

Govt security forces retake district, evict militants in Afghanistan

The Afghan government's security forces evicted Taliban militants and took control of a key suburban district in Afghanistan's northern province of Faryab after heavy clashes, the country's Ministry of Defense confirmed on Wednesday.

migrator

Kabul

"The National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF), including national army's commandos, supported by Afghan Air Force launched a cleanup operation in Dawalt Abad district on Tuesday night. The operation resulted in the killing and injuring of scores of the Taliban terrorists," the ministry said in a statement.

The statement noted the district was completely cleared of the militants early Wednesday, and rule of law will soon returned in Dawlat Abad when the government offices and local police station will reopen later in the day, Xinhua reported.

Taliban militants overran the district after heavy fightings when Afghan security forces tactically retreated to neighboring districts on June 7.

Taliban militants, who attacked security forces and captured several suburban districts across Afghanistan in recent weeks, have not made a comment on the report so far.

While the United States and NATO troops have been leaving the country, violence in the country is on the rise. 

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Gavaskar, Kapil seek fair treatment for jailed Imran Khan in appeal alongside other former captains

TN Budget 2026-27 HIGHLIGHTS: Rs 5,463 crore for social security schemes and Rs 5,200 crore for Thoothukudi shipbuilding cluster

1,179 MoUs translate into Rs.12.37 lakh crore investment, says Tamil Nadu Interim budget

TN allocates Rs. 1996 crore for labour welfare and skill development

Egmore station redevelopment cuts suburban services for 45 days