CHENNAI: Replying to a query on bringing back the body of a Tamil Nadu fisherman from Saudi Arabia, Minister for Public Works and Highways Aadhav Arjuna said in the Assembly on Thursday that the State government was taking measures to bring back the body of the fisherman who was shot dead by Iranian sea pirates.
During Zero Hour in the Assembly, the issue was raised by AIADMK floor leader Edappadi K Palaniswami, S Sivakumar (PMK), R Senthilselvan (DMK), T Ramachandran (CPI) and R Chellaswamy (CPM).
Replying to them, minister Aadhav Arjuna said four fishermen from Sirkazhi had ventured into the sea for fishing off the Arabian coast. "During their venture, Iranian pirates tried to loot. Following this, they were shot, and one fisherman, Maaveeran, died on the spot. Another fisherman was admitted to the hospital," Minister Aadhav said.
He said an inquiry had been initiated and that the Mayiladuthurai District Collector was taking all measures to bring back Maaveeran's body. "The Secretary of Fisheries is also taking measures through the embassy," Minister Aadhav said.