EB lineman electrocuted in Kanchi; villagers’ efforts go in vain

A 58-year-old Tamil Nadu Electricity Board lineman was electrocuted while attending a fault in the transformer in Baluchetty Chatiram on Tuesday.
Representative image
Representative image

CHENNAI: A 58-year-old Tamil Nadu Electricity Board lineman was electrocuted while attending a fault in the transformer in Baluchetty Chatiram on Tuesday.

The deceased Pakkirasammy of Thirupukuli village in Kancheepuram was working as the lineman in the White Gate EB substation. On Tuesday evening, after receiving a complaint from the Thukulam villagers Pakkirasammy went to the spot and after turning off the power supply he climbed on the EB transformer and was checking the lines. In a few minutes, Bakirasammy suffered an electric shock and his body caught fire. The villagers informed the fire and rescue team, but before the rescue team reached the spot Bakirasammy's body was burned completely in fire and he died on the spot.

The body was in the transformer for several hours and at around 7.30 pm the Baluchetty Chatiram police team reached the spot and retrieved the body from the transformer and sent it for post-mortem to the Kancheepuram government hospital. Police said Pakkirasammy had not turned off the power supply properly and that cost his life. The police have registered a case and further inquiry is on.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Related Stories

No stories found.
DT next
www.dtnext.in