4 fall unconscious after inhaling noxious gases in Chennai unit

Police investigations revealed that there was a leak in a barrel holding a chemical solution which led to a spillage and emission of noxious gases. Kodungaiyur police have registered a case and are investigating.
Representative Image
Representative Image

CHENNAI: Four persons swooned after inhaling noxious gases in a rubber solution manufacturing unit in Kodungaiyur on Tuesday evening.

One of the victims is the son of a worker in the unit, who went there to check on her as she did not return home for a long time.

Police sources said that the incident happened at Sasthiri nagar extension in Balaji Nagar, where Venkatesan (51) runs the manufacturing unit. On Tuesday evening, U Suresh (38), an auto driver went to Venkatesan’s firm around 8 pm to look for his mother, Thenmozhi (58), who works at the unit.

On reaching there, Suresh found his mother and her co-worker, Amudhavalli and Venkatesan lying unconscious. While trying to help them, Venkatesan too swooned. His wife alerted the neighbours as the phone was not reachable.

Police and personnel from Tamil Nadu Fire and Rescue Services (TNFRS) department reached the scene and rescued all four persons. They were admitted to Government Stanley medical college hospital, where Suresh got discharged after treatment. The other three are still under treatment, police said.

Police investigations revealed that there was a leak in a barrel holding a chemical solution which led to a spillage and emission of noxious gases. Kodungaiyur police have registered a case and are investigating.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Related Stories

No stories found.
logo
DT next
www.dtnext.in