Transformer goes faulty, kills lineman

No sooner he started checking the lines, Bakirasammy suffered an electric shock and his body caught fire. The villagers informed the Fire and Rescue Services but before the team could reach, Bakirasammy was charred to death.
Representative image
Representative image

CHENNAI: A 58-year-old Tamil Nadu Electricity Board lineman got electrocuted while attending to a fault in the transformer in Baluchetty Chatiram on Tuesday.

The deceased Pakkirasammy of Thirupukuli village in Kancheepuram was working as the lineman in White Gate EB substation. On Tuesday evening, after a complaint from Thukulam villagers, Pakkirasammy went to the spot and after turning off the supply, climbed the EB transformer.

No sooner he started checking the lines, Bakirasammy suffered an electric shock and his body caught fire. The villagers informed the Fire and Rescue Services but before the team could reach, Bakirasammy was charred to death.

The body was on the transformer for several hours and at around 7.30 pm, Baluchetty Chatiram police reached the spot and sent the body for post-mortem to Kancheepuram government hospital. Police said Pakkirasammy had not turned off the power properly, costing him his life. The police have registered a case and inquiring.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Related Stories

No stories found.
DT next
www.dtnext.in