No need to impose lockdown in TN: Ma Subramanian

Talking about the spread of infection in the State, Subramanian said that more number of people are now in home isolation as about 95 per cent people, out of 14,504 active cases in Tamil Nadu.
Health Minister Ma Subramanian inspecting health centre in Chengalpattu
Health Minister Ma Subramanian inspecting health centre in Chengalpattu

CHENNAI: Overall in Tamil Nadu, 95 per cent people have been vaccinated with the first dose and 85.37 per cent have received the second dose of vaccine and there is no need for a general lockdown, Health Minister Ma Subramanian said on Monday. He said this after inspecting an upgraded government primary health centre in Chengalpattu.

"The Chief Minister has said that there is no need for general lockdown. However, it is important to control the spread. As per the Union government's regulations, the State can impose additional restrictions only if 40 per cent of the infected people are admitted to hospitals. Currently, 5 per cent people in that category. Hence, the need for imposing additional restrictions does not arise at present," he said. He also stressed on the need to wear face masks and stay protected.

Talking about the spread of infection in the State, Subramanian said that more number of people are now in home isolation as about 95 per cent people, out of 14,504 active cases in Tamil Nadu. The remaining 5 per cent are receiving treatment in government and private hospitals.

Health Minister Ma Subramanian inspecting health centre in Chengalpattu
India achieves complete vaccination of 90% of adult population

As for Chengalpattu, 373 people have been affected on Sunday and there are 2,269 active cases in the district. He said that more intense preventive measures are required in various districts including Chennai, Chengalpattu, and Coimbatore where the infection is more prevalent.

With regards to the vacancy of the post of medical officers at Ethikali Nadu Upgraded Primary Health Centre, he said that maternity services are largely impacted due to the same. He assured that the vacancy for the post will be filled in as the hospital covers the need of 24 villages and the need of obstetrics care will be improved at the PHC.

He further added that the Tamil Nadu government has already started filling up the vacancies of medical officers and field workers which have not been filled for the past several years. At least 4,308 new appointments have been made and tasks have been handed over to the Medical Staff Recruitment Board.

Almost 200 vacancies are of doctors and they have advertised separately and conducted interviews for the vacancies of nurses, pharmacists and other categories and they will be filled by the end of September. After completion of these appointments, the doctors to be posted in primary health centers or upgraded primary health centers will be appointed.

Reiterating the need of vaccination against Covid-19 for people, the Health Minister said that 34.46 lakh people need to be vaccinated with the first dose and 1.08 crore people are yet to be vaccinated with the second dose. The officials have been instructed to prepare a list identifying all the unvcaccinated people and officials will go to their homes and vaccinate them in mega vaccination camps to be held on 10th July.

He undertook inspection of vaccination for students aged 12 years to 14 years at in Mudaliarkuppam Government Higher Secondary School was investigated. As far as Tamil Nadu is concerned, the vaccination target for 12 to 14 year olds is 21.21 lakh. Out of this, 86.09 per cent were vaccinated with the first dose, while 58.03 per cent have been vaccinated with the second dose.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Related Stories

No stories found.
DT next
www.dtnext.in