Begin typing your search...

Hut catches fire, Nonagenarian killed in Thanjavur

A nonagenarian woman was charred to death in a sudden fire that broke out after a power leakage in her thatched house in Thanjavur on Wednesday.

Hut catches fire, Nonagenarian killed in Thanjavur
Representative image


Sources said, Dhanapakkiam (90), was residing alone in a hut on Adhi Mariamman Temple Street in Thanjavur, and on Tuesday late hours, a sudden fire broke out in the hut due to power leakage.

Though Dhanapakkiam attempted to come out of the hut, her attempts failed as fire engulfed the entire hut.

On seeing this, neighbors tried to douse the fire, but they could not put it out and Dhanapakkiam, who was caught in the hut, was charred to death.

Police retrieved the body and sent it to the Thanjavur Medical College Hospital for post mortem.

Based on a complaint from Veerammal, daughter of Dhanapakkiam, the police have registered a case and are investigating.

Visit to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Next Story