Begin typing your search...

NEET ranks to guide Tamil Nadu medical admissions

At a time when the Centre has put on hold both the Bills adopted by Tamil Nadu Assembly seeking exemption from NEET, Health Minister C Vijaya Baskar informed the House that the current admissions in medical colleges in the state would be governed by the NEET rankings, through a government order (GO) which allocates 85% quota for students from state-board, and the rest 15% to other boards like CBSE

NEET ranks to guide Tamil Nadu medical admissions
X
Fact File

Chennai

The apportionment of 85 per cent under the GO issued on June 22 was exclusive of the All India quota of 15 per cent (which is in vogue for decades). The Minister’s announcement came in reply to Deputy Leader of Opposition Durai Murugan asking whether the state has plans “to safeguard the future generations” from NEET. 
Vijaya Baskar, who admitted that there was a need to ensure level playing field for students from the stateboard who constitute about 95 per cent (4.2 lakh who wrote Biology) and the 4,675 CBSE students, who appeared for NEET, which was essentially based on CBSE standards.
The Minister further said that the applications would be issued from June 27, which can be downloaded from the state’s website. 
DMK MLAs Thangam Thennarasu and K Ponmudi cautioned the government to carefully consider the legality arising out of the pending Presidential assent to two Tamil Nadu Bills and demanded that the existing 69 per cent reservation in the State be protected.
The State at its disposal has over 3,277 seats (including private and minority institutions), and a state-level NEET rank list would be generated for this purpose and counselling would begin on July 17 as all-India counselling gets over by July 16.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

migrator
Next Story