Begin typing your search...

Two siblings electrocuted in Coimbatore

Two teenage siblings were electrocuted as they accidentally touched a metal rod that was electrified due to a faulty wire following heavy rains in the city on Wednesday afternoon.

Two siblings electrocuted in Coimbatore
X
People pointing at the electrified metal rod that claimed the lives of the siblings

Coimbatore

The two victims Salman Faris (18), who works in the fish market, and his sister Banu alias Saira Banu (16), a Class 10 student, were children of Sulaiman and Fathima. Ukkadam police said the family lived in a small house at Ukkadam Majith Colony near Valankulam Lake. Heavy showers on Wednesday afternoon had flooded a few houses. 

When the siblings began to clear water from the street, after draining water from the house, Salman accidentally touched a metal rod, used to divert a live wire, and suffered a shock. Banu, who rushed to his rescue, also suffered a shock. 

Neighbours immediately turned off power supply, but the siblings died. Their bodies were sent to the Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital for post mortem. 

Meanwhile, the Ukkadam police and TANGEDCO officials conducted preliminary investigations on the incident. Inquiry revealed that Musthafa, a neighbour, had illegally tapped electricity to his house using the rod. Musthafa was booked for causing death due to negligence and arrested.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

migrator
Next Story