Jharkhand exam protesters accuse govt of 'betrayal' as HC stays several job test cancellations

The BJP extended its support to the protesters and accused Congress leader Rahul Gandhi of showcasing a "duplicitous attitude" over students' welfare
Demonstrators during an protest against Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren over the Jharkhand High Court's stay order on the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examination
Demonstrators during an protest against Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren over the Jharkhand High Court's stay order on the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) examinationPTI
Updated on

RANCHI: Resentment simmered among exam protesters in Jharkhand on Saturday, who accused the Hemant Soren government of "betraying" them by failing to properly defend in the High Court its decision to cancel several recruitment exams, a key demand of the agitators.

The BJP extended its support to the protesters and accused Congress leader Rahul Gandhi of showcasing a "duplicitous attitude" over students' welfare. The ruling JMM, on the other hand, alleged the BJP was using students to further its political interests.

The JMM-led government's decision to cancel 22 job exams and order a probe into 23 others quelled the 26-day stir against alleged irregularities in Jharkhand's recruitment exams but triggered another protest by successful candidates, many of whom moved the High Court fearing job loss.

Hearing their pleas, the Jharkhand High Court stayed a number of government notifications cancelling recruitment exams.

This caused disgruntlement among the exam protesters. Members of the 'JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch', which has been spearheading the stir, took out a protest march on Friday to the Jharkhand Public Service Commission office here, and scuffled with police.

Similar protests also occurred in Hazaribag and Giridih.

They had also gathered at Albert Chowk to burn effigies of Chief Minister Soren and Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, to protest against job exam "anomalies" and the "betrayal by the state government by not strongly defending its decision in the high court".

Leader of Opposition Babulal Marandi accused the government of using force against students, while former chief minister Champai Soren termed the alleged crackdown in Ranchi, Hazaribag and Giridih unfortunate, and said it violated the students' democratic rights.

Marandi said, "The JMM-Congress was not satisfied even after selling off the jobs of Jharkhand's poor, Dalit, and tribal students. To weaken their struggle, they tried to sow discord, applied pressure, and put on a show of cancelling the exams."

"Rahul Gandhi ji, your duplicitous attitude will be exposed before the students of the country. These students are not heirs to a legacy like you and Hemant Soren. They will secure their rights," he said.

The JMM alleged that the BJP was trying to exploit the recruitment exam-related issues.

JMM general secretary Vinod Pandey asserted that the BJP was "all out to destroy the social fabric of Jharkhand" and was using students to further its political interests.

The 'JPSC-JSSC Reforms Manch' has also questioned the government's handling of the court proceedings, alleging that senior law officers were not present to effectively contest the petitions.

JLKM leader Devendra Nath Mahto announced a 'Recruitment System Reforms Yatra' from August 24, and warned of a possible gherao of the chief minister's residence if the government failed to effectively defend its position before the high court on September 15.

Widening its probe into the alleged exam irregularities, the CID on Friday urged the public to furnish any information available regarding the "anomalies".

The CID's Special Investigation Team has so far questioned 37 suspects in connection with the alleged irregularities in the 2023 JSSC Graduate Level Combined Competitive Examination.

X

DT Next
www.dtnext.in