Begin typing your search...

Restrictions, strike disrupt normal life in Kashmir

Normal life in Kashmir was paralysed for the sixth consecutive day today due to curfew-like restrictions and separatist-sponsored strike in the wake of killing of Hizbul commander Burhan Wani and the ensuing deadly violence that has left 35 persons dead.

Restrictions, strike disrupt normal life in Kashmir


Restrictions on the movement of the people in parts of Srinagar, some areas in north Kashmir and four districts of south Kashmir, which were imposed on Saturday morning, continued to remain in force today.

Officials said the restrictions were imposed to maintain law and order in the Valley. Meanwhile, the strike, called by the separatist groups, also affected normal life in the Valley.

The separatist groups on Wednesday extended the strike call till Friday after a spate of fresh killings in the Valley.

Shops, private offices, business establishments and petrol pumps continued to remain shut, while government offices and banks witnessed thin attendance, the officials said.

Public transport was completely off the roads for the sixth consecutive day, while private cars and auto-rickshaws were seen plying at few places in the areas where there were no restrictions, they said.

Educational institutions in the Valley were closed on account of the ongoing summer vacations, while Central University of Kashmir (CUK), Kashmir University, Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST) and Jammu and Kashmir Board of School Education (JKBOSE) have postponed the examinations due to the prevailing situation.

The strike and restrictions have led to mass cancellation of wedding functions in the Valley. People are organizing marriage ceremonies in a simple manner without the traditional feast, inviting just few close relatives and friends.

Every day, the Valley-based newspapers are filled up with classified advertisements announcing cancellation of wedding functions. The separatist groups have extended the strike call for the fourth time since Wani s killing.

Earlier, on July 8, they called for a one-day strike to protest his killing. The strike was then extended for two more days to protest the killings of civilians in firing allegedly by security forces. The shutdown call was again extended on Monday. Then, on Wednesday, the separatists asked people to observe the strike for two more days till Friday.

Separatist leaders, including Syed Ali Shah Geelani, and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq tried to defy restrictions to march towards Martyrs graveyard in Khawaja Bazar area of Srinagar. However, both of them were detained by the police. Later, they were released from detention and kept under house arrest.

Visit to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Next Story