CHENNAI: As many as 12 cows were electrocuted in a farmland after stepping on a live electric cable at Cheyyur in Chengalpattu district on Monday.
The villagers of Devarajapuram took 20 cows for grazing in the fields in the locality. In the evening, they noticed only 8 cows returned and 12 went missing.
Soon, the owners went on for a search on the farm and found all the 12 cows were electrocuted after stepping on an overhead electric cable, which got snapped during the heavy rains in the afternoon.
The Cheyyur EB substation staff who visited the spot disconnected the power supply. Cheyyur police sent the carcasses for post-mortem examination and have registered a case.
The villagers demanded compensation from the government and gave petitions to the Revenue Department and the EB Substation.