Household items gutted as e-scooter battery blasts in Sholinganallur

Fortunately, the bike's owner and his family members escaped unhurt as they woke up to the blast of the battery and ran out of the house.
Household items gutted as e-scooter battery blasts in Sholinganallur
E-scooter from the house

CHENNAI: In yet another incident of thermal runaway, a house was gutted in Sholinganallur after an e-bike's battery caught fire while being charged on Wednesday.

Fortunately, the bike's owner and his family members escaped unhurt as they woke up to the blast of the battery and ran out of the house.

Police said that the bike belongs to one Eswaran, a cook, who has been living with his wife and children in the rented house for the last three years.

On Tuesday night, Eswaran reached home after work and removed the battery from his e-bike to charge it.

Around 1.30 am, Eswaran heard the sound of a blast and noticed fire spreading to house from the e-bike battery that was burning.

Furniture inside the house being completely burnt.
Furniture inside the house being completely burnt.

On information, fire tenders from Semmanchery and Thoraipakkam rushed to the spot and put out the fire. However, most of the household items were destroyed in the fire. Semmanchery police have registered a case and further investigation is on.

Several incidents of e-bikes catching fire either while being charged or on the run have been reported in the last one month.

Are you in Chennai?  Then click here to get our newspaper at your doorstep!! 

Related Stories

No stories found.
DT next
www.dtnext.in