Begin typing your search...

1 held, 2 booked for selling meat despite ban on slaughterhouses

Even as the closure of fish and meats shops since June 19 has caused inconvenience to non-veg eaters, the city police arrested a man selling meat in the guise of delivering food and another father-son duo for selling meat from their house defying the new lockdown ban.

1 held, 2 booked for selling meat despite ban on slaughterhouses


Based on a tip-off, Kannagi Nagar police secured a man in their jurisdiction and inquiries revealed that the person identified as Saravanan delivered food to homes and used the opportunity to sell meat as well. “He was in contact with a local poultry owner and took meat along whenever there was food delivery. He would offer the residents where he deliver food to get them meat too and 10 people had already bought it from him before he was arrested,” said a Kannagi Nagar police officer.

The cops also arrested the poultry owner and booked the duo under Sections 269 (Negligent Act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life) and 188 (disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant). They were released on bail later.

Nolambur police also secured a father-son duo for selling beef on Saturday. They were identified as C Ramesh (52) of Chinna Nolambur and his son R Madhan (24). While they run a beef shop, it was closed from June 19 as per the renewed lockdown instructions. However, Ramesh continued to sell beef from his house and Nolambur police seized the meat from the house. Corporation officials were also alerted and further investigation is on.

28-year-old woman immolates self as husband refuses to buy her biriyani

A 28-year-old woman set herself ablaze near Mamallapuram after her husband allegedly failed to buy her a plate of biriyani. Sowmiya and Manoharan (32) of Ponjeri village near Mamallapuram were married for 12 years and have two children. On Wednesday, Sowmiya allegedly asked her husband Manoharan to get biriyani from a newly inaugurated eatery, but by the time he reached the shop, the food got over. Dejected over this, Sowmiya immolated herself on the terrace of the two-storey building they lived in. Though she was rushed to Chengalpattu government hospital, Sowmiya died without responding to treatment on Friday. A case has been registered.

Visit to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Next Story