Begin typing your search...

Five more cops, fireman test +ve

Five more police personnel, including a woman constable who had delivered a child only a month ago, were tested positive for COVID-19, said official sources, adding that a fire service official has also tested positive.

Five more cops, fireman test +ve
Image courtesy: Reuters


A woman constable attached to Koyambedu station, who delivered a month ago, is suspected to have come in contact with a 55-year-old SI living in the same quarters. The latter had tested positive on April 30. Another policewoman, an Armed Reserve constable from Pudupet, was also found infected.

Two more SB-CID personnel posted at the headquarters control room in Mylapore, and a constable from Otteri were also tested positive. Besides them, a 24-year-old Fire and Rescue official from Villivakkam has been tested positive, officials said.

The 77-year-old mother of a ministerial staff at DGP office succumbed to the disease on Friday evening. The staffer, seven members of the family and their house help had tested positive, and are undergoing treatment. Meanwhile, after an accident victim tested positive, about 20 traffic police personnel attached to AdyarSastri Nagar station were subjected to tests.

A 26-year-old vegetable vendor from Injambakkam, who was on his way to the hospital on a two-wheeler after feeling feverish, was knocked down by a van in Alwarpet on April 28. Two traffic police officials from Adyar-Sastri Nagar traffic investigation wing sent him to Government

Kilpauk Medical College Hospital. An SI had also visited him at the hospital to get a statement. As he complained of high temperature, his blood samples were sent for test. The results returned on Thursday confirming that he was positive, after which the man was moved to the special ward.

The traffic police officials were alerted about it, and samples were taken for tests from all three policemen who came in direct contact with him and 17 other personnel in the station. The results are expected on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the station premises were disinfected. When contacted, a senior officer said that the accident victim was dealt with cautiously as he had told the officials that he was on his way to hospital after feeling feverish.

Visit to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Next Story