Beetroot to keep you in pink of health
Ever heard of a food item that promises health and exhibits an exciting play of flavour and colour on our plates? Loaded with nutrients, beetroot has been identified as a superfood due to its immense nutritional value. Here are a few recipes that you can easily pull off at home.
2 beetroots, boiled with skin on, peeled and cut into chunks
2 tbsp sugar syrup
125 ml milk, chilled
1 tsp cinnamon powder
2 scoops vanilla icecream
- In a blender puree the beetroot.
- Add sugar syrup, milk, crushed ice and cinnamon powder. Blend.
- Add vanilla ice cream and mix.
- Serve chilled.
1 kg beetroot
200 gram strawberry or any berry
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
Few drops Balsamic vinegar
To season salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 200 degree Celsius. Peel the beetroot and boil till tender for 20 minutes.
- Slice the beetroot. In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, balsamic, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Add the beetroot and mix it well so it is evenly coated.
- Arrange on a baking tray and roast it for about 20 minutes or you could simply sauté in a pan. Let it cool.
- In a food processor, add the beetroot and the berries and blend it well.
- Add some water if need be. You want a consistency of a flowing cream.
- Adjust the seasoning again, chill in the fridge.
- Serve with a little sprinkling of chopped parsley.
1 cup grated beetroot
1/2 packet firm tofu
1/2 tbsp garlic paste
1 tbsp amchoor powder
1 tbsp roasted & crushed anardana
Chaat masala, a pinch
Rock salt, to taste
1/4 cup chopped cashew nuts, to stuff
1/2 cup crushed oats, to coat
Oil, to pan fry
- Take a bowl and put the grated beetroot, tofu followed by garlic, amchoor, chaat masala, rock salt and anardana.
- Mince with your hands and make round patties and insert the chopped cashews as a filling. Make round kebabs.
- Coat the patties with crushed oat powder.
- In a flat pan heat the oil and lightly fry these. Serve with a dollop of green chutney
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp mustard seeds
10-12 curry leaves
1 tsp ginger, chopped
2 split green chilli
2 1/2 tbsp coconut, grated
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/3 tsp coriander powder
To taste salt
Water (to de glaze)
1 1/2 tbsp tamarind extract
1 piece small jaggery
3 beetroots, grated
To garnish coriander leaves
2 tbsp curd
- In a kadai, mix coconut oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, shallots, sliced ginger, split green chillies and grated coconut.
- Now add the grated beetroot.
- Saute the beetroot and the spices together.
- Add cumin powder, coriander powder, little salt for taste and water.
- Mix them well with the grated beetroot.
- Add tamarind extract, jaggery, grated coconut and little water.
- Cover it and let the beetroot cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves and grated coconut.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add curd, mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.