TIRUCHY: The State government should withdraw its decision to appoint employees on a contract basis in Tangedco, announced in the Assembly, or face a massive protest across the State, CITU state general secretary S Kannan said here on Saturday.
Addressing the state executive committee meeting of CITU in Tiruchy, Kannan said the government should also drop its plan to privatise electric line works and ensure regularisation of employment in the power sector.
“The decision to appoint employees in Tangedco on a contract basis is anti-labour and should be withdrawn immediately. The government should ensure regularisation of employment,” Kannan said.
The CITU executive committee also condemned a recent government circular preventing students from participating in protests organised by Left parties and demanded the removal of the Chief Secretary, alleging that he had been acting against democracy.
Kannan said Kerala had already commissioned the installation of smart meters directly through the government, while Tamil Nadu was planning to hand over the work to private players. This, he said, would affect employees on the payroll.
He also cautioned the government against privatising electric line works, saying it could lead to job losses. He warned that the union would organise protests across the State if the government did not withdraw its privatisation plans in the power sector.