Wild jumbo electrocuted as its trunk touches overhead electric cable

Wild jumbo electrocuted as its trunk touches overhead electric cable

On receiving information that an elephant was found dead in a private tea estate near ‘Pattavayal’ at Bitherkad in Gudalur, a team of officials rushed to the spot and held an inquiry.

Coimbatore: A wild elephant died of electrocution after it accidentally came in contact with an overhead electric cable in The Nilgiris on Thursday.

On receiving information that an elephant was found dead in a private tea estate near ‘Pattavayal’ at Bitherkad in Gudalur, a team of officials rushed to the spot and held an inquiry.

The elephant had pulled down a palm tree, when it fell on the overhead electric power cable. “Even though the cable did not snap, it got lowered and began to dangle. When the elephant moved away, its trunk came in contact with the live wire and suffered a shock. It then collapsed to death,” said an official.

Officials spotted injury marks on its trunk sustained due to the electric shock. A team of veterinarians carried out a post-mortem and sent samples for a laboratory analysis. The carcass of the animal was then buried in the same spot. Earlier, the local villagers turned up and offered their prayers to the animal.

Visit news.dtnext.in to explore our interactive epaper!

Download the DT Next app for more exciting features!

Click here for iOS

Click here for Android

Related Stories

No stories found.
DT next
www.dtnext.in