Begin typing your search...
Health department takes steps to prevent dengue outbreak as more cases reported
In the wake of more than 15 dengue cases being reported in the city and many more from across the State, the Health Department has started taking steps on a war footing to check an outbreak.
A number of cases have been reported and efforts are being made to ensure a major outbreak doesn’t occur, said Dr K Kolandaisamy, Director, Department of Public Health. “The key step being initiated is to check quackery in the State. Action is being taken by the Directorate of Medical and Rural Health Services (DMS) and the Drugs Controller to eliminate quacks and take action against them. We have been constantly urging the public to approach the right practitioners for treatment,” he added.
The Health Department is also taking comprehensive action beginning with source reduction to curb the spread of Aedes mosquito and creating awareness about it. “We have been stressing the need for households and offices to remove unwanted materials from their premises and to refrain from leaving water containers open. If these steps are followed, it will make a big difference,” said Kolandaisamy. Stating that no deaths due to dengue have been reported so far, he added, “One death was reported in January this year. Since then, there have been none due to this disease. Some suspected cases where people succumbed were not confirmed to be dengue. However, we are still taking steps on a war footing and conducting door-to-door checks to ensure that the public follow instructions.”
Dengue: Health Dept urges govt offices to maintain cleanliness
Faced with an increasing number of vector borne diseases including dengue, the Health Department has organised a campaign in all government offices to ensure that they act as an example to the rest of the State.
“We have instructed all government offices – including the railways, the police and others – to maintain their premises clean to check mosquito breeding,” said a health official.
P Madhusudhan Reddy, Chennai Corporation Deputy Commissioner (Health), said, “The civic body has been carrying out an intensive source reduction drive in the localities from where the dengue cases were reported. All houses in a 500-metre radius from the affected places are being checked for mosquito breeding sources.”
Reddy said a meeting was conducted at the Collectorate with various departments on Tuesday. “We have requested officials from other departments to remove old scraps and other garbage from their office premises as they turn into a breeding source for mosquitoes,” he added.
Meanwhile, sources in the civic body confirmed that 15 dengue cases were reported in Chennai. “Reports about the death of two boys in the city are creating panic. But they had other complications that caused their death. One of the boys was cured of the disease, but he died due to other health issues. Fifteen cases in a city of 80 lakh population is not alarming, as we are taking measures on a war footing to control dengue,” Reddy said. He also urged the public to allow civic workers, who visit their houses, to check breeding sources and destroy them.