Man killed, 4 injured in fire caused by gas cylinder leak
A 30-year-old man was killed, and four others, including two women, were badly injured, when they were trying to douse a fire that broke out due to a gas leak from a burning LPG cylinder at their house in Triplicane on Friday afternoon. As it spread, the split AC also caught fire, trapping the inmates.
The deceased was identified as Mohamed Meeran, 30, of Rotary Nagar Main Road. The injured – Fahat (25), wife of Meeran, Ismail (35), brother of Meeran, his wife Fathima (32) and a worker/driver Dinesh (30) - suffered severe burns and have been admitted to the Kilpauk Medical College (KMC) hospital.
Police suspect the gas leak occurred while the man was attempting to transfer gas illegally from domestic gas cylinders to commercial ones. This triggered the fire. Cops discovered at least seven empty commercial gas cylinders in the house, located on the first floor, around 12.30 pm. Meeran worked as a gas cylinder agent attached to a wholesale dealer in Teynampet. He would keep the empty commercial gas cylinders that he collected from the commercial units in the neighbourhood and hand them over to the agency in the mornings.
Police said it was Fahat, who spotted the fire and together with Meeran, Ismail, Fathima, their father Khaja Moideen, 70, and Dinesh rushed to the first floor and tried to douse the flames. While Khaja Moideen was safely out, the others were hurt.
A Fire and Rescue service squad from Mylapore fire station rushed to the spot and doused the fire in 15 minutes.