Chennai: Man electrocuted as underground live cables electrify stagnant rainwater
A 37-year-old man was electrocuted after he stepped into a pool of rainwater in Kilpauk on Monday night. The police said there was leakage from underground live cables.
The deceased, Krishnayyah, of Choolai, was a gardener at a doctor’s house in Chetpet and stayed at a house provided by the employer on Gangadeeswarar temple with his mother and brother. The incident happened around 8 pm when he was returning home from work on foot.
As Krishnayyah took a turn to enter Miller’s Road, he stepped in the stagnant rainwater and suffered an electric shock. While he collapsed on the spot, passers-by alerted the police control room. The Kilpauk police rushed to the spot and tried to rescue him. Tangedco officials were alerted and the power supply was suspended to remove the body. It was sent to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital for post-mortem examination.
A case has been registered and further investigation is on. The police there could have leakage from the underground Tangedco cables. Tangedco fixed the problem on Tuesday.