Begin typing your search...
Wind power generation dips with SW monsoon coming to an end
With the South West monsoon coming to an end next week, the power generation from windmills have started declining in the State.
On Monday, the total wind energy generation stood at 15 million units, with the peak generation of 1,625 megawatt at 5 pm. According to Tangedco sources, the wind power generation in this month so far has been below par compared to last year.
“Wind power generation remained below 60 million units for the past many days. On September 21, it declined to 28 MU and then fell further to 13 MU the next day. On Monday, it stood at 15 MU. The fall in the wind power generation is a clear sign of withdrawal of South West Monsoon in the State,” a senior official of Tangedco said.
The maximum peak wind power evacuated by the Tangedco this year was 5,070 mw on June 20, while the total wind energy production was 104 MU on July 19. The all-time high generation of 5,095 MW was on July 27, 2017, while the all-time highest energy was 107 MU recorded on July 19, 2017.
AD Thirumoorthy, energy consultant and member, State Working Group for Renewable Energy, Government of Tamil Nadu, said that it was reaching the end of the season. “Normally, the season would extend till the second week of October. But the forecast for this year says the wind season may end this month,” he said.
When asked about the evacuation of wind power, he said while the wind season was normal, the evacuation was poor. “Compared to last year, there was 10 to 15 per cent reduction in the wind power evacuation. Considering the reduction in the general wind by 5 to 10 per cent, the total loss of wind energy would be nearly 20 to 25 per cent this year,” he said.
However, the Tangedco official said the decline in wind power generation did not affect the power situation in Tamil Nadu, as the power demand has been less owing to rain across the State. “With the generation from the thermal power stations, we will able to meet the power demand till January,” the official added.