Begin typing your search...
Woman immolates self, husband dies in bid to save her
A woman who set herself ablaze at Iyypanthangal on Wednesday night after a quarrel with her husband succumbed to injuries in the hospital a few hours later, while her husband who tried to save her also succumbed to injuries in the wee hours of Thursday.
The couple Raju (52), a realtor, and Chithra (48), were residents of Subramaniam Nagar, Porur near Iyyappanthangal. The couple was married for the past 27 years and they had two sons - Saravanan (25) and Vijay (23).
Police said that the couple often fought owing to Raju’s failing business as he incurred losses while doing business outside the state and Chithra allegedly complained about the lack of a steady income to run the house. She was worried about her husband’s dwindling income and this was major point of conflict between them, police said after interacting with the family members of the deceased couple.
On Wednesday night too, an argument erupted between them and Chithra, who was upset, doused herself with kerosene bought from PDS shop and lit a match. As she was engulfed in fire, Raju tried to save her and sustained injuries.
Neighbours rushed them to Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital where Chithra died without responding to treatment within hours as she suffered over 90 per cent burns.
Raju who was undergoing treatment succumbed to injuries on Thursday morning. SRMC police have registered a case and further inquiry is on.
The bodies were handed over to the family members after post-mortem.