It has been over a year since the captain cool MS Dhoni featured in a cricket match. Well, the wait is all set to be over finally as the legendary wicket keeper, batsman will be playing his first match in the upcoming edition of the Indian Premiere League. Dhoni will be leading the Chennai Super Kings and it goes without saying that the team is aiming to bag its fourth IPL crown. CSK will be defending Mumbai Indians in the maiden match of the tournament.
Despite all the measures taken during the COVID 19 situation, CSK became the sole victim for the pandemic. As many as 13 members tested positive for the virus after they arrived in UAE. The list of positive cases included two key players Deepak Chahar and Ruturaj Gaikwad. However, the duo is now fine and have resumed their training.
However, the team will miss the veteran cricketers Suresh Raina and Harbhajan Singh during this season. Both of them opted out earlier this month citing personal reasons. Well, it wouldn’t be an understatement to say that the team has taken the hardest hit after the two senior players Raina and Harbhajan opted out. It is expected that the other players including Imran Tahir, Mitchell Santner and Piyush Chawla step up in Harbhajan’s absence.
Here’s the full squad of team CSK for IPL 2020:
1. MS Dhoni (India) - Will lead the team and he will be the wicket keeper.
2. Shane Watson (Australia) - Expected to be the opening batsman and he is one of the key players.
3. Faf du Plessis(South Africa) - Expected to be the opening batsman.
4. Ambati Rayudu (India) - One of the key batsmen. Though his performance did not shine bright last year, it is expected that he will be back to form this year. He might also be the opening batsman if not for the other two players.
5. KM Asif (India) - Will be bowling for the team.
6. Deepak Chahar (India) - Also a bowler
7. Dwayne Bravo (West Indies) - One of the anticipated all rounders
8. Imran Tahir (South Africa) - Bowler
9. N Jagadeesan (India) - Wicket keeper/Batsman
10. Karan Sharma (India)- Bowler
11. Lungi Ngidi (South Africa) - Bowler
12. Mitchell Santner (New Zealand) - Allrounder
13. Monu Kumar (India) – Bowler
14. Murali Vijay (India) - Batsman
15. Ravindra Jadeja (India) - Allrounder
16. Ruturaj Gaikwad (India) - Wicket keeper/Batsman
17. Shardul Thakur (India) - Bowler
18. Sam Curran (England) - Allrounder
19. Piyush Chawla (India) - Bowler
20. Josh Hazlewood (Australia) - Bowler
21. R Sai Kishor (India) – Bowler
22. Kedar Jadhav (India) - Batsman
Support Staff for the team:
1. Stephen Fleming - Coach
2. Michael Hussey - Batting coach
3. Laxmipathy Balaji - Bowling coach
4. Rajiv Kumar - Fielding coach