1. In February 2019, four men were arrested for blackmail and sexual harassment of a college student in Pollachi near Coimbatore.
2. During investigation, the police realised it was not an isolated incident but an organised crime racket in which about a hundred women were abused. Suspects made videos of the harassment and blackmailed them.
3. In March 2020, video clips — apparently taken from cell phones of the accused — started circulating on the internet.
4. The case soon assumed political overtones after an AIADMK functionary attacked the complainant's brother.
5. Soon, Tamil Nadu Crime Branch CID took over the the case.
6. Following media reports, public protests and opposition pressure, the case was transferred to the CBI on March 13.
7. Both the assault case and the sexual abuse cases were transferred to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
8. It filed its first chargesheet in the Pollachi sexual assault case against five suspects. While four accused were arrested, the fifth, who was absconding, surrendered in May 2020.
9. Three more people, including an AIADMK functionary, were arrested by the CBI on January 6, 2021. All of them were produced before the Mahila court in Coimbatore, which remanded them to 14 days judicial custody
10. Following the arrest, the AIADMK functionary was ousted from the party.