More than seven months of the academic year lost due to the pandemic and only two more months are left for the session to conclude. Thus, looking at ways to make up for the loss, officials concerned have recommended the extension of the session beyond April so that there would be at least five months to cover the portions and prepare for the board exams if the schools are allowed to reopen after Pongal.
According to a senior official from the School Education Department, if the majority of parents suggest during the feedback session that schools could be reopened after Pongal holidays, the government would accept it. “If there is a possibility of reopening of schools in January based on the feedback, the government would announce the truncated syllabus for Classes 10 and 12. As per the current plan, about 40 per cent of portions for these classes have been removed,” he said. But the teachers would still have to cover the remaining 60 per cent, especially in the case of government and aided school students who did not have online classes.
“It is estimated that it would take a minimum of four months from January to cover the portions. As all the subjects can be completed only by April, the board exams could be held in May or June, after the elections,” the official told DT Next. Even if the exam-related works from registration to downloading were to be carried out on war footing, it would take a minimum of two months, he added. “The present recommendations will depend on the feedback from parents, if they suggest reopening schools by the mid-January,” the official said.
Meanwhile, the feedback session that was expected to start on Tuesday could not be conducted by most of the schools in Chennai, Kancheepuram, Tiruvallur, Chengalpattu and other districts that were hit by heavy rains.