Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on Tuesday urged the public in south and coastal Tamil Nadu to remain indoors during Cyclone Burevi, which is expected to strike the state on December 2 and 4. Palaniswami along with state Cabinet Ministers conducted a review meeting at the Secretariat and discussed the pre-cyclone measures taken up by Revenue and Disaster Management officials.
“To handle cyclone crisis, nine teams of National Disaster Response Force had rushed to coastal and southern districts of Kanniyakumari, Thoothukudi, Tirunelveli and Madurai. The District Collectors of southern districts are instructed to store adequate diesel and generators. Fisheries Department had warned the fishermen not to venture into the sea,” Palaniswami said in a statement.
He also said that Tamil Nadu Electricity Board (TNEB) will deploy 1,000 additional workers in cyclone-prone areas to attend power cuts and disaster relief works. TNEB is advised to stock transformers, EB posts, cables and generators from other districts, the CM said and urged the public not to rely on social media rumours.
Proper cyclone alerts will be issued by the disaster management authority through official apps, twitter and bulletins. The public should follow only these advisories, the CM said. Deputy Chief Minister O Panneerselvam, chief secretary K Shanmugam and state department secretaries took part in the meeting.
Earlier in the day, Revenue and Disaster Management Minister RB Udhayakumar said about 700 mechanised boats and deep-sea fishing vessels had left Kanniyakumari and Thoothukudi coasts. These fishermen have been cautioned through high-frequency radio channels. Further, the geo co-ordinates of these missing vessels are shared with the Fisheries Departments of other Indian states and Lakshadweep Island, Udhayakumar said. He also said that the members of state disaster response force would be positioned at Ramanathapuram, Tenkasi, Tirunelveli, Theni, Kanniyakumari, Sivaganga, Virudhunagar and Dindigul.