Fifty per cent of the seats in non-minority private medical colleges is set aside as government quota for merit candidates, 35 per cent for management quota and the remaining 15 per cent under NRI quota. The 35 per cent (about 550 seats) available under management quota is open for students across the county. Due to this, said aspirants here, almost 60 per cent seats from the category goes to candidates from other states, leaving only the remaining 40 per cent for those from Tamil Nadu.
This stands in stark contrast to Kerala and Karnataka, as the State governments there took a policy decision to restrict admission for other State candidates to a limited number of seats. The Kerala government, for instance, has decided that only 15 per cent of medical seats would be open to those from outside the State.
The issue was raised after MBBS counseling last year, when a group of students moved the Madras High Court seeking reservation or preference for students from Tamil Nadu in management quota admissions. However, the court quashed the petition, and the State government has not made public any policy so far.
With the results of NEET 2020 expected next month, parents and aspirants have urged the Tamil Nadu government to allocate 85 per cent of management quota seats for aspirants from the State from the coming academic year itself.