Just days after an illegal hoarding killed a 23-year-old, a 14-year-old boy, S Dheena was electrocuted on Sunday night after he stepped into a pit dug by the Corporation, where stagnant water concealed live underground power cables.
Since Dheena’s friend was speech-impaired he could not get the help of the passers-by so he rushed to Dheena’s house to inform his parents. The boy was rushed to the hospital, but the doctors declared him brought dead,” a police official said.
Dheena, a Class 9 student of government school in MGR Nagar, was the eldest son of Senthil (40), an auto driver, and Vanitha (34) from Subasri Nagar in Mugalivakkam.
Investigation revealed that the live cables were meant for streetlights in the locality and the Corporation which dug the road for storm water drain work a few months ago did not close it properly.
“As the days passed-by, the dug-up area caved in and the cables came to the surface. As the insulation was worn out due to friction with the vehicles passing by, the core of the cable was exposed. Due to the recent rains, the stagnant water covered the exposed part of the cable which resulted in the accident,” said a police official.
Infuriated over the incident, the kin of Dheena and residents of the locality staged a protest on the Porur-Poonamallee road. After investigation, Mangadu police registered a case and booked Corporation Assistant Executive Engineer Senthil and Zonal Assistant Engineer Balu. Further investigation is on.
Corporation dug the road for storm water drain work a few months ago and did not close it properly
Stagnant rainwater covered the exposed cables
On Sunday night, Dheena and his speech-impaired friend take a bike to refill fuel
Dheena steps into stagnant water which concealed live cables, dies on the spot