At 4.20 pm on Friday, the Tiruchy-Howrah Express (Train No. 12664) started its first run with upgraded coaches. A through modernisation at an estimated cost of Rs 60 lakh under the Utkrisht project the coaches are ready to give a new level of travel experience to the passengers.
There will be a display of the contact number of the housekeeping staff or Coach Mitra number inside the coaches. The passenger can send the request to that number for coach cleaning, toilet cleaning, bedroll etc. This train is having Poly Vynile Chloride flooring and LED lighting and it also has Braille Signage for the berth numbers, according to the officials.
The rake has been upgraded and the coaches are refurbished at the GOC Workshop, Ponmalai, Carraige Works Perambur and Loco Works Perambur.
It may be noted that the Indian Railways decided to upgrade the coaches of about 33 trains that were running with poorly maintained coaches with modern facilities.
- New PVC (Poly Vynile Chloride) flooring provided inside the coaches
- Complete panel replacement in doorway, gangway area
- High quality vinyl wrapping in the doorway and gangway areas
- LED lighting provided inside the coaches
- Hydrophobic coating done on all stainless steel fittings
- Braille signage for berth numbers provided
- Roof sheets replaced with Natural and Artificial Fibre Thermoset Composite (NAFTC) sheets
- Epoxy flooring provided in the toilets for better aesthetics and longer life span. Proper floor level and slope ensured
- Bio-tanks fitted in all toilets
- Stainless Steel dustbins as per RDSO instructions
- Venturi type system provided for better ventilation in toilets
- LED lights
- Provision of Onboard Housekeeping and cleaning en route
- Cleaning of toilets on the run
- Collection and disposal of garbage periodically
- Service request from passengers through Coach Mitra application. Passengers can send SMS to the given number pasted near the washrooms for any requirement