Property worth several lakhs of rupees were gutted in a fire that broke out in a plastic product godown at Mangalakshmi Nagar behind the new bus stand here on Wednesday night.
According to sources, the fire was noticed in the godown around 2300 hours which was later spread to the nearby shops too. Sparks from crackers is suspected to be the reason for the cause of fire.
Fire tenders from Puducherry, Gorimedu and Villianur fought and brought the fire under control. By the time the fire tenders reached the spot, two shops were totally gutted.
Though, several fire tenders fought the fire they could not bring the blaze under control immediately and it took nearly seven hours to douse the flames completely.
Though, the exact loss is yet to be estimated , it is expected to be nearly Rs 1 Crore, sources added.