It is said, S Sukumar (35) of New Street in Cholapuram figuring in the history sheet of Tiruppanandal police station, on Wednesday night, was at his house with his friend Sakthivelu of Manambadi. Suddenly, a group of persons surrounded the house and hacked Sukumar and Sakthivelu.
Sukumar died on the spot and a grievously injured Sakthivel was admitted to the Kumbakonam Government Hospital. A special team led by Venkatesan, DSP, Tiruvidaimarudur, on Thursday arrested Tai Sekar (38), the North District Secretary of Viduthalai Tamil Puligal Katchi, M Anbu (25), N Balachandran (25), all from New Street of Cholapuram.
Police said Sukumar and Tai Sekar were members of the VCK but Tai Sekar had joined the Viduthalai Tamil Puligal Katchi. This had led to skirmishes between the two. Supporters of Sukumar had attacked Tai Sekar in 2015. After a few months Tai Sekar group retaliated.
As Sukumar fled away from the house his father Mayan alias Sundaram was murdered by the group.
Father-son duo electrocuted in Ariyalur
A father-son duo were electrocuted after they accidentally came in contact with a live electric fence erected for preventing the wild boars in Ariyalur on Thursday. Velayudam (95), a farmer from Sathampadi village in Vikkiramangalam along with his son Thangaraj (60), a retired VAO, went to the field of Devendran (another farmer) to collect fodder for their cattle.
Velayudam accidently came in contact with a live electric fence in the field and fell down dead. When his son Thangaraj attempted to rescue him, he too was electrocuted.
On information, Vikkiramangalam police team retrieved the bodies and sent them to Ariyalur GH.
In Perambalur, a 45-year-old M Amirtham along with her cow and dog was electrocuted. It is said, the Murugesan and his wife Amirtham from Mazhavarayanallur in Perambalur district were undertaking
farm works around their house and a high voltage line in that area had reportedly fallen near the house due to heavy rain.
On Wednesday afternoon, Murugesan’s cow came in contact with
the fallen wire, suffered an electric shock and died. Amirtham, who ran to its help, was also electrocuted.
Seeing the mayhem, their dog tried to lick her and it too suffered the same fate.
Later, neighbours noticed the dead bodies and alerted the police, who, in turn, informed the Electricity Board to fix the fallen HV line.