Morris became the most expensive buy in the IPL auction history, with Rajasthan shelling out big money for the all-rounder. Morris’s big pay day came after another all-rounder and perennial under-performer, Australian Glenn Maxwell, once again managed to attract a Rs 14.25 crore bid from Royal Challengers Bangalore.
New Zealand pacer Kyle Jamieson, known more for his performances in Test cricket, also secured a massive Rs 15 crore deal from Bangalore. Punjab Kings, which went into the auction with the maximum purse, paid Rs 14 crore for Australian pacer Jhye Richardson.
Punjab also paid a big amount of Rs 8 crore for another Australian pacer, Riley Meredith, making him the costliest uncapped foreign player in the IPL history. The last player to be sold at the auction was Sachin Tendulkar’s son Arjun, a fast bowler finding his feet at the domestic level.
The 21-year-old was picked up by his father’s erstwhile franchise Mumbai Indians. Morris, who came with a base price of Rs 75 lakh, generated bids from four teams before it became a battle between Rajasthan and Punjab. Royals eventually sealed it with a record bid, which made Morris the costliest buy at the auction ever, surpassing Yuvraj Singh, who was bought by Delhi Capitals for Rs 16 crore in 2015.
Earlier, Kolkata Knight Riders made the opening bid for Maxwell but it eventually became a two-way war between Chennai Super Kings and RCB. The Virat Kohli-led team finally won with a bid which came to USD 1.96 million.
Bangladesh star Shakib Al Hasan was lapped up by KKR for Rs 3.2 crore. He missed IPL last year as he was serving a ban for failing to report a corrupt approach. Australian pacer Nathan Coulter-Nile also ended up with a good deal, fetching a Rs 5 crore bid from Mumbai.
Australian Steve Smith, who was released by Rajasthan, was bought by Delhi Capitals for Rs 2.20 crore, only Rs 20 lakh more than his base price. At his base price of Rs 1.5 crore, England batsman Dawid Malan was a bargain buy for Punjab.
Australia’s 37-year-old all-rounder Dan Christian triggered an inexplicable bidding war before going to Bangalore for Rs 4.8 crore, way above his base price of Rs 75 lakh. Seasoned Indians Harbhajan Singh (Rs 2 crore) and Karun Nair (Rs 50 lakh) found a buyer in Kolkata in the final round after going unsold initially.
A total of 292 players have been enlisted, out of which 164 are Indians and 125 overseas players. There will also be three associate players.
Here are the highlights of the auction:
- Arjun Tendulkar joins MI for Rs 20 Lakh.
- Akash Singh sold to Rajasthan Royals for Rs 20 Lakh.
- Liam Livingstone is sold to Rajasthan Royals for Rs 75 Lakh.
- Daniel Christian is sold to RCB for Rs 4.8Crore
- Fabian Allen sold to Punjab Kings for Rs 75 Lakh.
- Vaibhav Arora is sold to KKR for Rs 20 Lakh.
- All-rounder Utkarsh Singh with a base price of Rs 20 Lakh Punjab Kings
- Jalaj Saxena joins Punjab Kings for Rs 30 Lakh.
- Moises Henriques joins Punjab Kings for Rs 4.20 Crore.
- Tom Curran goes to Delhi Capitals for Rs 5.25 Crore.
- Kyle Jamieson joins RCBs for Rs 15 Crore.
- CSK buys Cheteshwar Pujara for Rs 50 Lakh.
- Rovman Powell, Shaun Marsh and Corey Anderson go unsold.
- Riley Meredith moves to Punjab Kings for Rs 8 Crore.
- J Suchith moves to Sun Risers for Rs 30 Lakh.
- Delhi Capitals buy M Siddharth for Rs 20 Lakh.
- K C Cariappa sold to Rajasthan Royals for Rs 20 Lakh.
- Following a bidding war among three teams, K Gowtham joined CSK for Rs 9.25 Crore.
- Lukman Meriwala sold to Delhi Capitals for Rs 20 Lakh.
- Mohammed Azharuddeen goes to RCB for Rs 20 Lakh
- Sheldon Jackson is sold to KKR for his opening bid for Rs 20 Lakh
- Vishnu Vinod sold to Delhi Capitals for Rs 20 Lakh.
- Shah Rukh Khan goes to Punjab Kings for Rs 5.25 Crore.
- Jhye Richardson sold to Punjab Kings for Rs 14 crore.
- Ripal Patel sold to Delhi Capitals for Rs 20 Lac.
- Sachin Baby sold to RCB for Rs 20 Lac.
- Piyush Chawla heads to Mumbai Indians for Rs 2.40 Crore.
- Harbhajan Singh goes unsold
- Umesh Yadav heads to Delhi Capitals for Rs 1 Crore.
- Nathan Coulter Nile is sold to Mumbai Indians for Rs 5 Crore.
- Right arm pacer Jhye Richardson heads to Punjab Kings for Rs 14 Crore.
- Mustafizur Rahman is sold to Rajasthan Royals for Rs 1 Crore.
- Mumbai Indians win the bidding war to bring Adam Milne on board for Rs 3.2 crore.
- Punjab Kings acquire Dawid Malan for Rs 1.5 Cr.
- Rajasthan Royals win the bidding war to bring Chris Morris on board.
- Shivam Dube goes to Rajasthan Royals for Rs 4.4 Cr
- Moeen Ali is sold to CSK for Rs 7 Cr
- KKR bring Sahkib Al Hasan on board for Rs 3.2 Cr.
- Steve Smith moves to Delhi Capitals for Rs 2.20 Cr.
- Following a fierce bidding war between KKR & RCB, Glenn Maxwell goes under the hammer and his opening bid is Rs 2 Crore. The opening bid comes from KKR.