At least 34 people fell sick after vapours of a chemical leaked from an industrial unit in Ambernath town of Maharashtra’s Thane district on Tuesday morning, an official said. Following the leakage, a number of people residing near the chemical factory complained of breathlessness, irritation in eyes, nausea and other health issues, Thane Municipal Corporation’s regional disaster management cell chief Santosh Kadam said. The sulphuric acid leaked around 10 am in the unit located in Ambernath MIDC, he said. Later, 34 people, who complained of breathlessness and other health issues, were rushed to the Central Hospital in Ulhasnagar, the official said. They are currently being treated at the hospital and are out of danger, he said. After being alerted, local police and firemen rushed to the site and the leakage was plugged, the official said. A probe was on to ascertain the cause of leakage, he added.