There are 909 lakes in Kancheepuram and Chengalpattu that are under the control of the Public Works Department. Following the good rains that lashed the districts in the past few days, 57 lakes in Kelambakkam, MN Kuppam, Sitheri, Pukkathurai Big lake in Chengalpattu district reached their full capacity. In Kancheepuram district, 69 lakes in Vaiyavur, Nathapettai, and Eraiyur reached full capacity.
Official sources said 223 lakes have 75 per cent of their capacity, while another 267 lakes are half full. Of the rest, 252 lakes have 25 per cent water. There are only 40 lakes that have very less water.
However, in stark contrast to these waterbodies is the lake in Tirukalimedu in Kancheepuram district, which is completely dried as the water inlet channels have been encroached over the years. Officials said the PWD is removing the encroachments, and assured that the lake would soon have water.
Delighted that the lakes are brimming with water, cheerful villagers are thronging the waterbodies, including children playing in the overflowing water and many who are trying to catch fish using nets.
Meanwhile, the Regional Meteorological Centre (RMC), Chennai, said a low-pressure area formed over the south Arabian Sea could bring moderate rain to the southern parts of Tamil Nadu over the next 48 hours. But north Tamil Nadu will continue to experience dry weather with Chennai sporting partly cloudy sky.
“Under the influence of cyclonic circulation over the southeast and adjoining southwest Arabian Sea, a low-pressure area was formed over central parts of south Arabian Sea. Light rain is likely to occur at isolated places over south Tamil Nadu. Dry weather is likely to prevail over north Tamil Nadu,” said N Puviarasan, director, RMC, Chennai.
Thoothukudi received 12 cm of rainfall on Thursday, while The Nilgiris and Theni recorded 9 and 8 cm respectively. As was forecast, Meenambakkam received only 0.4 mm of rainfall. The weather station recorded maximum temperature of 32 degrees Celsius, while it was 31.3 degree Celsius at Nungambakkam.
Light to moderate rain is expected in Madurai, Theni, Sivaganga, Ramanathapuram, Tirunelveli, Tenkasi, Virudhunagar, Thoothukudi and Kanniyakumari districts. But north Chennai will only get light rain.
“Madden-Julian Oscillation (MJO) is presently in phase 2 and the huge convection in the Arabian Sea confirms its presence. We might see the first low pressure after Northeast Monsoon onset, and with easterlies in place, this low pressure will intensify and will move away from the Indian coast,” said weather blogger Pradeep John, who runs the Facebook page Tamil Nadu Weatherman.
In Chennai, the predicted temperatures are expected to be between 34 degrees Celsius to 25 degrees Celsius, with partly cloudy sky and light rain over the next 48 hours.