In a breakthrough scientific exploration, marine scientists with National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources (NBFGR) have discovered two new ornamental shrimps (new to Science) in the Andaman Islands. The marine scientists have also developed captive raising technology for the local indigenous shrimps found in the Andaman Islands.
“It is estimated that around 90 per cent of the freshwater fishes are captive-raised and the remaining 10 per cent are caught in wild. However, among marine ornamental organisms, about 95 per cent are harvested from natural waters and only 5 per cent are from captive hatcheries, mostly belonging to Pomacentridae family,” professor Ajith said. Thor hainanensis Lysmata hochi and Argeiopsis inhacae with Stenophus hispidus were other species found in Andamans. Besides, over 500 individual of fifteen species of ornamental shrimps were collected from the wild for germplasm conservation and captive propagation, Ajith added. “These fascinating ornamental shrimps exhibit myriad colours, semiotic association with other groups, behaviours and body forms, which make them attractive to the hobbyists, suggesting potential avenues for promoting marine ornamental trade in India, besides supporting the livelihood of the coastal and island communities,” said Dr Kuldeep K Lal, director, ICAR - National Bureau of Fish Genetic Resources.