According to sources, a dilapidated electric pole in Nuthananchery near Madambakkam collapsed in the rains on Tuesday evening. The live wire came in contact with the cattle which were grazing on the fields and five cattle died on the spot. On hearing the noises, the villagers rushed to the spot and informed the EB office. After the power was snapped, the dead cattle were removed from the spot and a complaint was registered with Selaiyur police.
Villagers claimed that most of the electric poles in the farm are in dilapidated condition and even after requesting the electricity board to replace the poles, no action was taken. They said these poles pose a threat during and only on Monday, a 12-year-old boy was injured and a cattle electrocuted after an old electric pole collapsed in the rain.