Lighting a beedi turned fatal for an auto driver as its spark spread to his petrol-smeared shirt in Kotturpuram on Wednesday.
However, he died without responding to treatment around 4 pm. The Kotturpuram police, on information, registered a case and further investigation is on. Thamizhkudimagan’s family in Ariyalur has been informed, the police said.
LPG leak: Couple critical after suffering burns
The police said that the couple — Krishna Sardar (48) and her husband Sunil Sardar — checked into the apartment in the wee hours of Wednesday and the incident happened around 7.30 am.
The couple had come to Chennai for treatment at a private hospital on Greams Road. Krishna was suffering from a kidney ailment. “They reached the apartment around 5.30 and were trying to make breakfast when the accident happened,” the police said.
They have been admitted to Kilpauk Medical College Hospital with 90 per cent burns.
The police said that their daughter has been informed about the accident. A case has been registered and further investigation is on.