The State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) has sought a detailed report from the Chairman and Managing Director of Tangedco over the death of four people, who were electrocuted in two separate accidents, on Thursday.
In the first accident, a 38-year-old J Leema Rose died after suffering burns when a Tangedco junction box burst when she was walking down a Choolaimedu street on January 4. Though the neighbours had rushed to her rescue, she had suffered about 80 percent burns. The next day, she succumbed to injuries while undergoing treatment at Government Kilpauk Medical College Hospital.
Tangedco officials said they were probing how the bursting of the junction box could have led to the fatal accident.
In the other case, three members of a family, including a woman, were electrocuted when they were working in their paddy field land in Settiyampatti village in Tiruchy district.
According to media reports, Ramamoorthy (50) and his son Gunasekaran (24) were working in their field which had ankle-deep water. Unexpectedly, a live overhead wire fell in the land and the father-son duo got electrocuted. Ramamoorthy’s mother Oppayi (74) who was standing nearby rushed to their help, but she too got electrocuted.
The notice further stated that in the event of any default, the Commission would take action as it deems fit and proper.