A car was gutted in a fire near Nandambakkam on Tuesday night. Police said there was no casualty as the occupants spotted the smoke and got down before the fire spread.
While they were returning home around 10.30 pm, Raj Kumar noticed smoke emanating from the vehicle. He stopped the car and the couple got down from it immediately. In few minutes, the vehicle went up in flames.
The Fire and Rescue Services team from Guindy, Virugambakkam and Egmore rushed to the spot and doused the fire. Police who said it was an LPG-fuelled vehicle, suspect that the fire could have been triggered either by gas leak or short circuit. The Nandambakkam police have registered a case and are investigating.