The incident occurred when the deceased Abhinayu of Kondithope was on his way home from his relative’s house in Tondiarpet in a two-wheeler with his father Gopal, when a stray manja thread swinging from a post on Meenambal flyover at Korukkupet slit his throat. The boy was sitting in front of his father.
As Abhinayu cried out, his father rushed him to Stanley Government Hospital but he succumbed to his injuries within minutes at the hospital. On receiving information, R K Nagar police registered a case and started their investigation. Preliminary inquiries revealed that Gopal works as a clerk at a private firm and Abhinayu was their only child.
Though the production and sale of manja thread - which is used to flying kites and coated with glass pieces - is banned in the city, the incidents of motorists and children falling prey to the snapped and abandoned manja thread are becoming quite rampant in the city.
In August, three-and-a-half-year-old Sarwan suffered injuries after a manja thread slit his throat when he was on a two-wheeler with his father Saravanan in Tambaram. In December last year, Dr M Saravanan of Venkatesan Nagar in Kolathur, a neuro surgeon at RGGGH, suffered injuries after a manja thread slit his throat at ICF.