A two-year-old child suffered burns after his uncle, who was carrying him and performing fire walk to fulfil his vows in a local temple festival in Choolaimedu, lost balance and fell on the bed of fire on Sunday night.
The incident happened around 10 pm in front of the Bhavani Amman temple on Sankarapuram Main Road. When Ganesan was performing the fire walk ritual holding the child on his hip, he lost balance as his dhoti came off and both fell on the pit.
Shocked devotees and fire personnel present at the spot rescued and rushed them to the hospital. The devotees claimed that this is the first time such an incident has happened in 29 years the festival was conducted.