Tiruverkadu municipality in the western suburbs, comprising 18 wards, has been implementing waste segregation and recycling for more than six months now. The civic body with a total population of around 89 lakh generates 22.29 tonnes of garbage daily.
“We use 20 motorised vehicles and 13 battery-operated vehicles for door-to-door collection of garbage,” Chitra told DT Next.
According to municipality officials, 90 percent of the dry waste is non-hazardous and is sent to cement factories in Ariyalur. “The remaining 7 to 10 percent of the hazardous waste are sent for safe disposal,” municipality officials said.
While the local body officials do face frequent challenges including non-cooperate residents and lack of sanitary workers, they said that regular awareness campaigns are slowly changing the public mindset.
“While we cannot claim to have achieved 100 per cent efficiency in effective garbage disposal, the situation is getting better and soon, we will be able to do away with dumping yards in the municipality,” the commissioner said.