In one incident, three in a family were charred to death following the explosion of an air conditioner due to electric leak at Kaveripakkam near Tindivanam in Villuppuram district.
The victims were reportedly fast asleep when the AC unit exploded and caught fire. Raju (60), his wife Kala (55), and their son Gowthaman (26) were charred to death in the incident. Service personnel arrived at the spot and sent the bodies to the government hospital for post mortem.
In another incident, two people died of electrocution and two others sustained injuries during a Christian procession at Allianthal village near Chengam in Tiruvannamalai district on Wednesday.
Police reports state that the incident happened when locals were taking a 12-feet-high statue on a procession in a bullock cart. With the procession car grazing an overhead power line, two people-who were pulling the cart-died of electric shock and two others were injured.
The deceased were identified as Anbarasu (52) and Jebaraj (50). The injured were admitted to a hospital.
A case has been registered and investigations are on.