Viboothi, a sacred ash provided by the priests in Hindu temples, is considered as a powerful possession which is believed to instill positive energy for those who wear it on them. Here are few benefiting rules that are to be followed by the devotees while receiving the Viboothi.
1. Viboothi should be received by the devotee in his right hand, while his left hand is placed below the right.
2. Viboothi should not be transferred to the left hand at any cause.
3. One can transfer it to a clean, neat paper or cloth.
4. Viboothi should not be spilled down on the ground. If it is done unintentionally, one should wipe the place clean.
5. Viboothi received from the temple should not be thrown away while returning from the temple premises.
6. One should wear the ash on the forehead by facing East or North direction.
7. While you wear the ash on your forehead it is considered best to think about or utter your favorite deity's name.
8. The three fingers on your right hand except the thumb finger and the little finger can be used to draw three lines using Viboodhi on your forehead. One can also wear Kumkum in-between two eyebrows after praying Ambal.