A video showing monkeys rummaging for food through PPE kits and bio-medical waste discarded in the open at a COVID care centre in The Nilgiris has gone viral.
- After the video started doing the rounds, staff fumigated the premises and removed the bio-medical waste
- Deputy Director of Health Services P Balusamy said a sudden spurt in cases delayed the disposal
- Balusamy claimed it was an old video. A Kovai firm will remove the waste and bins have been placed at the centre
- Environmental activists have expressed apprehension that wildlife may be under threat of infection from coronavirus
- It was after a tiger in the US tested +ve, that the Nat’l Tiger Conservation Authority issued guidelines to protect wildlife